It’s that time of the year again! Here are a few gift ideas for the foodies on your list. Feel free to send any suggestions, including what you plan to give and what you’d really love. Happy holidays!
1. A selection of exceptional extra virgin olive oils, such as McEvoy Ranch and Moutere Grove
2. Donuts from Donut Plant in NYC or Federal Donuts in Philadelphia
3. Olive oil bundt cake from Zingerman’s
4. Your offer to prepare latkes for them (no one really and truly wants to slave over a hot saute pan for batch after batch!)
Hanukkah or Christmas or Holiday Hostess Gifts:
1. Herb wreath from Sur La Table
2. Luxury maple products from Tonewood
3. A really good chef’s knife, such as a Wusthof Santoku-style, perfectly sized for the recipient’s hand (mine is 7-inch). To go all out, add a Chef’s Choice electric sharpener.
4. If you’re in a sunnier climate, a potted Meyer lemon tree (try Williams-Sonoma).
5. Aromatic cleaning products, such as from Mrs. Meyers or Williams-Sonoma (I love the Williams-Sonoma Essential Oils Pink Grapefruit Countertop Spray). Sounds overly practical, but they’ll bring the recipients pleasure every time they use them. Make sure to choose a scent they’ll love.
6. Truffle salt plus black truffle butter
7. Chocolate: truffles from Chocolat Moderne, John & Kira’s, Vosges, and Woodhouse; and bars from Ashkinosie and TCHO
8. Gift sets, such as the paella-themed one from Sur La Table or any baking set from King Arthur Flour
9. “Armchair travel” cookbooks, including Jerusalem (Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi) and Burma (Naomi Duguid)
Smaller gifts and stocking stuffers:
1. Justin’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups and Candy Bars
2. Vanilla bean paste from Nielsen-Massey
3. Sel gris de Guerande (grey sea salt from Brittany, France)